Monday, May 4, 2009

Jennifer's Macaroni and Cheese

I was so excited when I ran across this recipe for Macaroni and Cheese on my blog friend Jennifer's blog-"Right in Front of Me." I have never been a fan of the blue box Mac N Cheese BUT I do remember many, many, many years ago loving me some school cafeteria macaroni. Even in my grade school days my sensitive pallet new the difference between the orange, artificially flavored cheese noodles and the real deal.
It has been many years since I have tasted "real" macaroni and cheese and I think it is about time for me to take a stab at making it myself. PLUS I am anxious to introduce this kid favorite cuisine to the boys. So far they have not been a fan of ANY pasta- CRAZY, I know!!!!, BUT I'm thinking this might be the dish that turns them onto noodles- we'll see.

Go here to see the recipe and to visit Jennifer's blog.

I am betting you could lighten this recipe up a bit by using 2% cheddar cheese and light butter. I think what I'm gonna do is use the light butter but REAL cheddar cheese. Because this recipe is very dependant on the cheese I'm just nervous to use anything but the real deal. Let us know if you try it.

Nutrition Information
Serving Size: 1/6th if main dish (I would do 1/8th if used as a side)
Meal Plan: ~330 Calories, 1.5 meat, 2 starches, 2.5 fats (best estimate)

I am going to serve this with a side salad.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear--I don't think I want to see the nutrition information! :)

    I use nonfat dry milk to make it, and it comes out fine. I also use margarine instead of butter (but I realize some people are concerned about margarine with the trans-fat).

    ReplyDelete