Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sonday Sunday

I have always loved the verse "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." For many years this was one of the only verses I could recite from memory. I would pull it out anytime I was in a tough predicament or about to do something challenging. It was often the extra motivation I needed to "get the job done," or the extra push I relied on to finish a race.

Recently, however, I have seen this verse in a whole new light. ALWAYS before I had plucked this verse straight off the 4th chapter of Philippians with no mind to the verses that surrounded it- until recently. Did you know that Paul was actually writing about contentment? Read below the verses that proceed vs. 13.

... for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4: 11-13

Before I had always looked to this verse for motivation to get me to the next level or through the next challenge, But actually this verse is a challenge to be content IN whatever situation we face!

Wow! What a message. How applicable in our current economic times. Instead of lusting after what I don't have or chasing after the next opportunity to make a little extra cash to "get ahead" I need to learn to be content with what I do have and be grateful for the provision the Lord continues to provide.

I think I'll post Philippians 4:13 to the Dashboard in "my car" as a reminder to be content and grateful as I drive off to face each day.

1 comment: