Thursday, February 5, 2009

My car- part 3

"The car" was DH's travel vehicle. He had bought the car a couple of years back when he was doing a lot of traveling for work around the state. The car was a very used 1996, 200,000+ miles, 2-door Honda Civic he purchased for $2500. I was against this vehicle (I dubbed "the deathtrap") from the beginning. For starters it was a standard with no power steering; I literally had nightmares about DH traveling around the state trying to shift, talk on the phone, steer, and drink coffee all at the same time. The first week he had the car he got hit in the parking lot of a local restaurant- I just knew this was an omen of bad things to come. But he insisted the car was fine and that Honda's would run forever.

When we first put our SUV on the lot I agreed to drive "the car" on my long commutes but wouldn't think of driving "the deathtrap" on Mommy days. So hubby and I would switch vehicles back and forth throughout the week depending on which day it was and who was driving the boys. That only worked for a short period of time however, because I was constantly leaving things in one car when I needed it in the other, or DH would get a call from a renter and need the truck to haul off a heavy appliance while I had the truck out on an errand, etc. So, before long I found myself driving "the car" full time.

Meanwhile, our SUV sold! Talk about a miracle! We were extremely relieved to have the Sequoia off our hands, but we did end up taking a hit on the selling price. That experience made us both determined NEVER to be put in that situation again. We vowed from that moment on we would only pay cash for future vehicles! Thus my "car savings envelope" was created.

More to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment