Monday, January 5, 2009

Pride comes before the Fall


Let me paint the scene for you. I was having the most Donnaesk day: I had checked everything off on my morning routine, gone to the gym to workout, put the baby down for his first nap, and had even put on an apron to perform my marathon of meals (I tried to ignore the fact that instead of pearls and heals I was in sweats and a ball cap- baby steps); when my four year old climbed up on the bar stool and requested a snack. "Sure" I said, and went to the pantry and pulled out a Quaker Chewy Peanut Butter Protein Bar (Kroger $1.03 after coupons yesterday) and poured him a glass of milk.
We visited, as I cooked and he ate his snack (I was confident Jeff and Donna had shared many similar experiences as Jeff enjoyed his daily cookies and milk and Donna prepared the evening meal). It was in this prideful moment Colby said "Mommy you know what i didn't have today?" I briefly thought to myself- "maybe a vitamin or even a hug", but didn't even look up when I casually asked "what." My Donna moment shattered when my precious 4 year old, who God had placed in my arms to love and care for, said "Breakfast." It was 11:00 and I had never made him breakfast- his granola bar was the first hint of nourishment he had had all day- and he had been up since 6:30am!!!! Donna would be so ashamed!
I felt horrible and rushed over to hug him and in my guilt offered him some Peanut Butter Captain Crunch as a small gesture of apology. Yes, that is right the dietitian was offering her first born Sugar! We had picked some up yesterday at Kroger ($1.50 with coupons) for special treats, and I thought my starving son Deserved a Treat!
Add in the fact that my kitchen looked like the above picture after all my meals were finished- and I was completely humbled- Donna I am not!

Now I must go tackle that kitchen and fold some clothes before nap #2 is up!

1 comment:

  1. Niki
    We ALL do that and it is ok. The comfort you should have is that he probably had a snack at the gym or should I say his breakfast!!!!!

    ReplyDelete