Friday, January 9, 2009

Familytime Failure- kind of

Well folks, I am sad to say I batted 0.5 out of 3 today for my "times." I had great plans to spend some quality, memorable, even picture worthy devotional, craft, and learning time with the boys today- and they had to go and get sick! My 4 year old was up most of last night with a high fever and cough so I decided to take him in to the doctor today; and baby is teething and fighting his own cold. Even still- I was determined to do our activities- I mean it was already marked in ink on my to-do list and eternally recorded on the world wide web!

I had just scooped the last of the out-of-date yogurt into a bowl for our "fingerpaint with yogurt" craft and was getting out the food coloring when Colby came into the kitchen and said "Mommy can we skip the craft and just do rest time." Now when your 4 year old would rather rest then take advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to "play with his food"- you know he's got to be sick. Soooo reluctantly I put the out-of-date yogurt back in the fridge (what's a few more days) and accepted defeat.

I gave some thought to the idea of still attempting devotional time but had to admit to myself that I would only be doing it to "check it off" because the boys just weren't up for it! As I write, I now realize I missed a great opportunity to talk to the boys about and help them pray to the "Great Physician." Oh man!

I am happy to say that after reflecting on my goals for learning time; and facing the truth that my baby has been deprived of the same early learning experiences as his older brother- Cohen has now seen a flashcard! I feel confident that if we run across a Tropical Bird, Elephant, or Sea Turtle in the next few days he will have a look of recognition on his face.

This is going to sound just aweful- but I secretly enjoy when the boys are feeling puny because this is often the only time they are still enough for me to cuddle and love on them. And you know who our babies want when the don't feel good...... Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment