Friday, May 8, 2009

Devotional Time

I am soooo excited about the new Devotional Book I found for the boys. It is leaps and bounds better then the last one. I feel bad dogging the last one since it is a book about Jesus and everything but really I was NOT a fan.

The new book I found is called Our Together-Time Bible by Gwen Ellis.

(Picture courtesy of Amazon.com you can't really click to look inside, at least not from here)


Each devotional includes an age appropriate verse, a bible story and/or application story, a "Let's talk about it" section, a "Share God's Love" activity and a prayer. There are 52 devotionals and the author encourages parents to do one lesson per week and then discuss/apply each lesson throughout the week. I totally broke that rule and did one lesson Monday and then another Tuesday BUT I think from now on I will follow her recommendation.

Just a quick testimony of the book: Tuesday our lesson talked about "patience" and I never really know how much the boys are paying attention while we are actually doing the "devotional time." BUT I did get some confirmation that at least some of the lesson soaked in when later that day Colby asked me why Jesus did not make his tongue feel better when he prayed about it (we were having tongue issues that day- whole other story... but anyways). I quickly answered by saying "Maybe God wanted to teach him something." I knew this was not an answer that would suffice but really I just said it to buy me some more time while I could think of a more appropriate answer to provide this barely 5 year old with a genuine child like faith. So I was completely caught of guard when he took my first answer and simply replied "To teach us about patience." All I said was "uh yep, that's exactly right to teach us about patience. Sometimes Jesus does not answer our prayers right away- we have to be patient." I tell you what... this is not the first time Jesus has used my baby to teach me a lesson..... BUT that is a whole other post.

BTW I paid $12.99 for the devotional book at Borders but I just saw that you can get it for less then $9 on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment