Monday, March 9, 2009

A day at the Zoo

Well we didn't fight the crowd on FREE Admission Weekend at the zoo last Saturday BUT we did go to the zoo today compliments of "Hannah's Heart," a preschool ministry at our church.

What a great day for the zoo! Awesome weather and we practically had the place to ourselves. Colby was NOT excited about our outing because last time he went "his feet hurt." What kind of kid doesn't want to go to the park, AND how can a 4 year old remember that his feet hurt LAST spring- were talking 2008? Cohen, on the other hand, loooooves animals so I couldn't wait to see the zoo though his eyes. He didn't disappoint. His little pointy finger talked a mile a minute (explanation- he STILL doesn't talk but points at everything) and he had a smile that stretched ear to ear.

Colby was most anxious to revisit the BIG turtle but unfortunately we were told he wouldn't be making his appearance for a couple more weeks. Bummer! I had really wanted Colby to get to see that turtle, so I got really excited when, across the way, I saw a couple of little turtles hanging out near the monkey cage. In my most excited voice I told Colby "Look turtles! Hurry, Let's go to the other side of the cage to get a closer look!!" I guess my excitement was contagious because at that time several kids rushed over to where I was pointing and shouting "turtle." You can imagine how embarrassed I was when Colby got to the "turtles" first and said "Hey! Those aren't turtles." Yep, not only were they NOT turtles they weren't even real! They were 3 statues of FROGS! Oh well....

After just watching "Madagascar- Escape to Africa," I tell you, I was completely fascinated by the giraffes and zebras. I could have watched them all day. God got really creative when he designed that giraffe. And that gorilla! What a beast!

It was a good day had by all- including Colby! He was already talking about going back to the zoo on our way home. Below you will see just a couple of my snapshots from the zoo.


Cohen loved the animals. Can you see his little cheek bones raised from his big smile.


The above, is a picture of a porcupine. I had no idea they were that big!

There are those funny giraffes. Is that not wild how they have to spread their feet so far to get their neck to reach the grass.


Elephant



No comments:

Post a Comment