Monday, March 9, 2009

Breakfast Casserole

It's baaaack! The other family I cook for requested Breakfast Casserole to be included in the March meals; I aim to please- so here it is again.

Modified Breakfast Casserole
  • 12 slices of whole wheat bread (I will use Natures Own Double Fiber Bread)
  • 3 TBS Lite Butter
  • 3 cups skim milk
  • 1.5 cups Egg Substitute
  • 1 cup Mexican Blend Cheese
  • 1 Package of Jimmy Deans Reduced Fat Sausage
  • 1 Green Pepper (this was not part of the original recipe)

(this time I used a can of green chilies instead of the green pepper)

Spray 9x13 cooking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Cut crusts off bread, butter the bread and slice into 9-inch cubes*. Place in pan. Place cheese on top of bread. Brown sausage. Whip eggs and milk together then mix with browned sausage. Pour the meat mixture over bread and cheese. Cut green pepper into rings and place on top of casserole. Put in refrigerator overnight. Take out of refrigerator 30 min prior to cooking. Bake 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

*Last time I made this recipe I thought I might like it better if I toasted the bread, so I did this time.

Nutrition Information for my ingredients:

Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe

Meal Plan: Calories: 380, 3 meats, 1 starch, 1/2 milk, 1/2 vegetable (that is a stretch) 2 fats

I will serve this with a fruit salad and a glass of milk.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Just wanted to let you know that we tried the spinach calazone and loved it. Thanks for all the recipe ideas. I need any help I can get. Thanks. Leanne

    ReplyDelete