Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wellness Wednesday- Dental Health

The topic of this "blog" is not rocket science, it's quite simple in fact. But you must learn to crawl before you can walk. Flossing.

The one thing I preach about, more than anything, in practice is the importance of flossing. I have many patients that don't understand why they continue to get cavities when they brush 2-3 times a day. The fact is that when you brush only, there is about 20-30% of your tooth that is never being cleaned. This plaque that is left in between your teeth, given time and the right oral environment, can result in cavities.

Now, I will tell you that I used to simply preach "floss more," until a recent incident at home. One night my wife and I started flossing at the same time but she was done flossing before I had flossed like 5 teeth. (Disclaimer: it takes my longer than most to floss because I'm getting every nook of the tooth i can reach(about 15 min.), that's probably the Donna Reed Syndrome in me). I asked her to show me how she flossed (this was because i am very competitive, and there was no way she could have beat me at flossing doing it the right way). She popped that floss between each tooth, gave the string a little wiggle, and moved on to the next tooth as quickly as she could go. This was the moment I realized the importance of educating people on proper flossing technique, because I'm sure this is how most of my patients floss their teeth.

The key with flossing is the same as to most things in life....know why you are doing what you are doing. You are flossing to clean in between your teeth where no tooth bristles, or toothpicks can go...only a thin piece of string. You are using that string to scrape away all the food and plaque the day has brought. Now here is the second key, when that floss is between the teeth, there is not just a space to clean, there are TWO teeth to clean. So this is the technique I would use to properly floss:
  1. Brush your teeth for two minutes (all the new latest and greatest power tooth brushes will have a timer for you). Do this to clean off the majority of plaque from your teeth.
  2. Get the floss out.
  3. When you pop that floss in between your teeth, pull that floss tightly against one tooth (like you are hugging the tooth with the floss), and move the floss up and down from the top off the contact of the teeth, to under the gums as far as comfortable. Do this motion several times and then remove the floss.
  4. Pop the floss between the same teeth and floss the other tooth. Remember there are two teeth to floss between each contact.
  5. Now, observe your floss. You will notice that when you first begin flossing, plaque will be present on the floss. You will know you are done flossing between each tooth when the floss comes out clean (plaque-free).
  6. Continue on throughout your mouth.
  7. Finally, when you are done flossing, rinse with some water or mouthwash to wash away any loose plaque or food that you might have dislodged.

Man, just typing this all out makes by teeth feel clean! I hope this simple topic has helped at least one person out there. If I am so privileged as to be asked to write again, I will try for a more exciting dental topic. Thanks for your read.

No comments:

Post a Comment