Saturday, February 7, 2009

Thompson Family Vacation

I wanted to take just a few moments of Scrapbook Saturday to document a few pictures and memories of our recent ski trip.


My sweet parents took our family along with them on their annual ski trip to Durango Colorado.



Although skiing is not what I would call a "relaxing" vacation we did have a great time. And it is always great to get away from the normal routine of life. I was amazed how easy it was to get in bed at a "decent" hour with no laundry to fold, bills to pay, house to clean, etc. And it was awesome to have a set of extra hands to help with the boys!

This was our 4 year olds first time to ski. I was sooooo proud of him! Although skiing didn't come natural to him by any means, he had the best attitude and was always excited to pick himself off the snow and try again.


My favorite Colby story of the trip happened on our last day as we were turning in our ski rentals. I had told Colby he could get a souvenir to help him remember his first ski trip. Well, he found this hat that he claimed was the softest, most special hat in the whole world. Now mind you there was NOTHING unique about this hat, in fact I think I saw a similar one at Walmart before we left for our trip. But to Colby there was no better hat. No exaggeration- he talked about his hat for a good solid hour. He was so enthusiastic about the hat the manager of the store gave us an additional 20% off the hat- because he had never seen someone who has ever appreciated a hat quite like my son. Everyone in our family has since spent time touching, holding, and even petting the hat. Colby plans on wearing his hat year round and eventually passing "the hat" on to his children.


This picture shows DH with the leash device he created to help Colby down the mountain. The leash is actually DH shirt tied to the Belt in Colby's pants. Most of the time they stayed on the bunny slopes, but the second day after ski school DH and my parents decided to take Colby up the big mountain- big mistake. DH practically had to carry Colby down from the mountain. At one point DH let go of Colby and my Dad ended up doing the splits trying to catch him before he shot down the mountain. When DH tried to help PaPa back up he got twistered up and fell down too. My Mom tells me that Colby looked at Papa and Daddy as they were laying in the snow and said very mater of factly "Now why did you want to take me up this big mountain?"



This is a picture of DH and I on top of the world. I will say that this was one of my favorite skiing experiences. In the past, I have been overly cautious on the slopes but for some reason this trip I was able just to relax and enjoy the ride down.



Although Cohen did not ski, I think he had a good time. Let me tell you that boy was a complete angel on the flight to Durango- I was soo proud of him. His Gammy (my mom) watched Cohen the first day to allow me a day of skiing, I watched Cohen the second day, and then on the last day we brought him out to the mountain so he could enjoy the snow.



I would like to take a brief moment to apologize to the people of flight 6046 from Durango. Cohen was cutting teeth in the midst of this flight and was wailing pretty much the first 45 minutes of the trip. You could feel the tension rising among the passengers as I tried every trick in the book to calm him down. By the time he finally tuckered out I was broken out in a nervous sweat and on the verge of a panic attack- fun times.




My mom took this picture, and although she did not mean to cut our heads off, I thought it would be appropriate for the blog. Go here to see my family picture policy.


Once again, I would like to thank my parents for sponsoring such a wonderful vacation.


No comments:

Post a Comment