Monday, February 9, 2009

Chicken and Dumplings

A couple of months ago the couple I cooked for requested chicken and dumplings. Although it is a stretch to call the selected recipe "healthy," this is the best way I could figure out how to have this classic "comfort food" without breaking the Calorie and fat budget. And talk about easy!!!

Chicken and Dumplings

4 skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs Lite Butter
2 cans 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
1 onion, finely diced
1 16oz can Grands Reduced Fat Biscuits

Place chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover. Cook for 5 - 6 hours on High. About 30-45 minutes before serving, place torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until dough is no longer raw in the center.

Nutrition Information
Serving Size: 1/8th of recipe
Calories: 300
Meal Plan: 2 oz meat, 2.5 starches, 0.5 fats

I'm going to serve this with my spicy green beans.

1 comment:

  1. Do you put the chicken breasts into the crockpot whole? Also, do you think you could do this in the crockpot with drop dumplings? I think they should cook as long as the liquid is boiling, right? I have really enjoyed your meal planning ideas! I like to prep ahead but I've never tried to have EVERYTHING done ahead. I'm anxious to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete