Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wellness Tip

Where in the Wellness World should I begin? How about with WATER! If water was good enough to be the first source of nourishment God created, then it is good enough for me!


While we could go weeks without food we could only survive days without water. That's because water is vital to almost every aspect of our physiology. But how much do we need?

Well- we use to be taught that everyone should shoot for 64 oz of water a day; but newer research has come out to say that 64 oz is not true for everyone. Some need a lot more, some can get by with less. What do I say? I think 64 oz is a great goal to shoot for. If you are new to water- maybe aim for 20oz a day for awhile (give your kidneys and bladder a chance to get use to it) then slowly build up. If you are overweight, pregnant, lactating, or exercising- you will probably need more then the originally recommended 64 oz.

Now I hate to admit this to you- but I am not the best water drinker. However I am most successful about getting my eight, 8oz of water in when I do the following:

  • Drink it lukewarm. Now this is a mater of opinion- but I am able to drink more water at one given time when I drink it not too cold, but not too hot.
  • Set it where you can see it. If I will set a water bottle on my desk at work or out on my kitchen counter, I am a lot more likely to be reminded to drink.
  • Schedule it. Obviously this is a part of my DRS, but I do best when I set mini goals like: drink 1, 20oz bottle while getting ready in the morning; drink one 20oz with lunch; and drink 1, 20 oz by or with dinner.
  • Flavor it up- Now there are all sorts of low to no calorie flavor packets available to stir into our water bottles. Some even give you options for adding vitamins and minerals and even fiber!
  • Take water with you when you exercise! This seems like such an obvious tip, but I forget and leave my water bottle at home all the time! Never do I crave water more then when I exercise. I can down 40oz+ in one session, but when I limit myself to the water fountain I know I am getting in a lot less.
  • The more water you drink, the more you want to drink water. I know this is true for me. The more water I drink the thirstier I become thus making it easier for me to get in more water.

How about you? Any tips or thoughts about water you want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment