Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sonday Sunday

My 4 year old is a little sponge- as I'm sure is true for all preschoolers. It is amazing what he is able to understand and pick up on. I have been shocked by things that have come out of his mouth that undoubtedly he learned from DH or myself and yet we didn't even realize he was even paying attention. This has been both a blessing and a curse.
For example- last night when we were playing Wii; I heard the words "Ah Dang it" come of out of my innocent child's lips when he got Lightening McQueen stuck behind a rock. As soon as he said it, I looked at him and firmly said "we don't say that word;" but even as the words were coming out my mouth I knew he had probably learned that word from me! Ouch!

Then there are those "treasure chest" moments. I will never forget the time my then 3.75 year old was sitting at the bar eating lunch when he said "I bet God likes it when we eat?" I had no idea where this was going but I quickly agreed and added "especially when we eat our vegetables." Curious about what was going on inside this little boys head, I followed up my vegetable sales pitch with "Why do you think God likes it when we eat?" I couldn't believe my ears when he answered "Cause when we're eating we are STILL." Who would have thought that months ago when we had talked about being STILL before God in one of our rare "devotional times" he was even listening much less able to understand the concept! Wow!

So with the later in mind. I want to get in the habit of taking EVERY opportunity to teach my little sponges about God's ways. That is why my verse for the week is Deuteronomy 6:5 -7. I can't wait to see how often the Lord whispers this one to me this week!

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 6: 5-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment