Saturday, January 3, 2009

Fill Envelopes Reminder

Did Donna pay the bills in the Stone family? I can't remember, but if she did I am sure her checkbook was never in the red!

I have used "the envelope system" to organize my budget for about 7 years. I will explain this system, in detail, in a future "Thrifty Thursday" post. But for now, bottom line- every dollar that comes in as income, gets allocated into an envelope to be used for future expenses. It is a tool I use to plan for all monthly and future expenses.
For example, I have envelopes for groceries, utilities, home improvement projects, Christmas, vacations, property taxes, and clothing and birthday envelopes for each member of the family. I currently have 47 envelopes in all, and the goal is to put a little into each one every month so when, for example, it is time to pay for our yearly termite contract, the money is ready to go without us having to stress about where the money is going to come from or putting the expense on the credit card. Make sense?

In the future, Super Saturday will just be a reminder to refill envelopes for the coming month.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, so I know all of this is so great, but I must let you in on some easy things the Wagnons do...lots of $6 Lil' Caesar pizzas (cost effective, convenient, plush they include a carohydrate, dairy, protein, and a veggie!) Plus, I must say my children would starve before they would eat anything on that menu. It sounds delicious, but do your kids eat that stuff???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so funny! Dinner time is always a battle around here but it is predictable. Every night I can expect Colby to come into the kitchen and ask "What's for dinner" to which I say "xxx" which ALWAYS results in "eww I don't like xxx." This routine dialog is followed up by Cohen pushing everything off his highchair into the floor. Frustrating- yes, but you know I am not one for surprises and this routine has become tradition:)
    Joking aside, they may not eat my food but at least a healthy meal was presented to them. I do ask Colby to take 4 bites of whatever I fix (4 because he is 4 years old)because research shows it can take up to 30 tries before a kid aquires a taste for something.
    Oh and we are Dominos people around here- also $6 for carry-out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki-
    I like the idea of # of bites per year. Our dinner time goes something similar. My latest goal is to completely switch Preston to wheat bread. We've made it almoast a week. Made a "healthy" pizza last night & I thought of your jalepeno chicken pizza..yumm. However, I expected my spinach to wilt on top & instead it curled up & got rather crispy.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete