Friday, January 2, 2009

Familytime Fridays

I am so selfish in picking my topics because these are areas that I need to work on- I hope you will find them helpful too.

I can not tell you how many nights I have peeked in at my sleeping babies and thought do they know how much I love them? Did I spend enough time with them today? Do they even care that their sock drawer is organized?

And it is in those moments that I vow to be a better mommy- and I come up with a plan.


A product of one of these moments was the Family Fun Can you see to the left. The idea of the can was that we would come up with some fun activities to do as a family, write them down, and then once a week we would draw an activity out and do it. Great idea..... but it requires actually doing it to be effective. Plus on the rare times we do draw out of the can I find I take advantage of the fact that my son is too young to read and instead of "Dressing up like Pooh, Tigger, Darby and Buster and going around the neighborhood playing Playhouse Disney's Super Sleuths (Colby's idea for the can)" I read out loud "Family Movie Night."

Another idea that I tried to put into daily practice was to have scheduled "Devotional Time," "Learning Time," and "Craft Time" with the boys on Mommy Days (the days I don't work). Now I loved this idea because even though I might spend no more then 5-10 minutes on each activity, the boys loved it and it made me feel so Donna like. The problem was that on the all-to-often days my to-do list was a mile long- guess what got pushed aside? Sooooo....


I am going to use Familytime Fridays to post about the different activities I plan to do with the boys the following week; and ideas I will try to implement for devotional, learning, and craft time. I highlighted the word try because all to often when I present a neat craft or devotional idea to my 4 year old he has his own ideas for what we should do. I mean why should he want to make a snowman out of cotton balls when he can use pipecleaners and yarn to make a "bad guy" catcher- sometimes I have to let go of the control.

No comments:

Post a Comment