Monday, January 5, 2009

Breakfast Casserole

I have to thank Allison for the original recipe for this post. Let me tell you that this recipe, in it's original form, is always a hit in our Sunday School class. However.... I have greatly modified the recipe to make it healthier, therefore, don't blame Allison if it flops. I will be honest, I have not tried the reduced fat version but feel confident it should turn out ok. Just in case, let me try it first, and if it doesn't turn out good, I'll let you know.

Modified Breakfast Casserole
  • 12 slices of whole wheat bread (I will use Natures Own Double Fiber Bread)
  • 3 TBS Lite Butter
  • 3 cups skim milk
  • 1.5 cups Egg Substitute
  • 1 cup Mexican Blend Cheese
  • 1 Package of Jimmy Deans Reduced Fat Sausage
  • 1 Green Pepper (this was not part of the original recipe)

Spray 9x13 cooking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Cut crusts off bread, butter the bread and slice into 9-inch cubes. Place in pan. Place cheese on top of bread. Brown sausage. Whip eggs and milk together then mix with browned sausage. Pour the meat mixture over bread and cheese. Cut green pepper into rings and place on top of casserole. Put in refrigerator overnight. Take out of refrigerator 30 min prior to cooking. Bake 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Nutrition Information for my ingredients:

Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe

Meal Plan: Calories: 380, 3 meats, 1 starch, 1/2 milk, 1/2 vegetable (that is a stretch) 2 fats

I will serve this with a fruit salad and a glass of milk.

6 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you and this blog!!! It is a JOY to all who read!! Thank you for sharing all the recipes, thoughts, and chaos we all live!!! Love you!

    jamie e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the blog. Check out www.freebies4mom.com It's a website made for you. I plan to make a few of your recipes this week! I will try to get you a calender for you blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much girls. I thrive on the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niki, for those who don't like sausage I have used lean ham from the deli or turkey bacon? Just an idea? Also I have a quiche recipe I use the lean ham in and beside the crust you could do the egg subsitute so I will have to swap that with you b/c I love a good breakfast for dinner meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tired this last night, and well, leftovers are gone! We loved it so much and it was EASY! Thanks Niki for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete