Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Donna on Vacation

So what does a girl with DRS do when she is on vacation with no kids in "Sin City?" Well, let me take you on a play by play of my most action packed day:

First I woke up around 9am. This actually really bothered me because I really thought that my natural wake time, if given the ability to sleep until my body just naturally awoke, would be closer to the 11-12 o'clock range. Of course there is a 2 hour time difference between our time and Vegas time, so that makes more sense. Anyways.....

After taking my time getting ready, and by ready I simply mean putting my hair in a pony tail and putting my bathing suit on, I went down to the cafe to order breakfast. DH had already eaten breakfast (he got up at 6am most days!) so I was on my own for breakfast. Because I lack the confidence to eat in a restaurant all by myself, I decided to order something from the pastry counter to go, rather than the menu.
Warning: This next part of my day is going to change the way some of you think of me. For some, I fear I might lose a great deal of respect. For others your respect for me will jump to a whole new level (not to say that the level of respect started out that high to begin with.... but anyways....) But regardless.... It must be told! For 2 days in a row the most important meal of the day consisted of..........



A GINORMOUS CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFIN!!!! That's right! I ate it! And not just once but twice! And then went back a third time- but this time just to take a picture (kinda felt like a dork holding up my camera to the glass case, snapping a photo, and walking off, but I'm kinda use to that feeling) Yep! I totally bypassed the Bran Muffin for the chocolate. I sacrificed the colon to satisfy the taste buds. Traded in the fiber for some good ol' simple sugar. And you know what? I felt JUST FINE about it. Maybe my bowels weren't so happy about my decision but I felt justified in my choice. After all I am the dietitian that preaches "ALL FOODS CAN FIT" in a healthy diet. Although one must be pretty creative in her food choices if she is going to make one of those muffins fit.......


After polishing off the last bite of my muffin, it was time to catch some rays. My only responsibility on this minivacation was to get some much needed color. Soooo off to the pool I went. I took the picture below to show you the pool, BUT the real reason I posted this picture was to show off my pretty toe nails.


If I may, let me stop right here for a sec and rewind our story back to the day before we left for the trip. REWIND (make a rewind noise please)


Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 9:15am: In honor of my upcoming minivacation I decide to get my once a year pedicure. Now normally I like to get my annual pedicure at the local beauty school (there's a thrifty tip for ya) BUT I hadn't made an appointment and I only had a 1.5 hour window of time to get it done, soooo I walked into one of those "Walk-Ins Welcome" nail salons. The sweet girl who performed my pedicure spoke very little English and the English she did speak was not the clearest so I just hoped we were on the same page about which service I wanted- the basic pedi and NOT the spa deluxe pedicure. Well about halfway through she asked me if I wanted my nails done too. And in that split second I thought to myself "Well Yes I would like my nails done" (throw the budget to the wind...) so I said to the nice lady "Yes, I would like my nails done..........How much does that cost?" She gave me the price for both the mani and pedi and I was $5 short, so I said "that's ok, I'll just stick with the pedicure." And then she said "I do it for fi less." Wasn't that sweet!!!! At first I felt guilty for letting her do my nails for $5 less because I knew I wouldn't even have money to tip her BUT then I remembered I AM missing a finger so that is ONE less nail she had to paint. So I felt better.


FASTFORWARD BACK TO VEGAS


Anyways.... after 2 hours baking in the sun I had successfully turned myself from ash white to lobster red. Ok lobster might be a little bit of an exaggeration...I'll go with Gala Apple red (that's the slightly pinkish red apple). Oh, and that apple red.... was just on the front side. The sides and back of my body were still ash. Yes... DH had a good laugh over that one.


Part of the reason I was so unevenly fryed was because I got involved in a really good book and forgot to turn over. I originally intended to finally read "The Shack" while away but can I just tell you that I am totally afraid to read it. I know just enough about it to know that I am going to be completely freaked out for a big chunk of the book and I just couldn't read it being a gazillion miles away from the boys. BUT I can't ever seem to find the time to read it when I am at home with the boys in near site. Sooo I have still yet to read that book. BUT I did read a great book by one of my favorite authors Karen Kingsbury called Every Now and Then. This book is part of her September 11 Series and boy was it good.

I think I'll stop right here and give you a chance to get on with your life for a while. Come back in a couple of hours to read more about my WILD Vegas Trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment