Monday, April 6, 2009

Capeless Mom

Today was a Mommy Day. Sooo in an effort to get some learning time in, I loaded the boys up in my 2-door car and headed off to the library for some good ol' fashion frugal fun.
Our outing started out quite routine... we read a few books, Colby put on a puppet show, Cohen knocked a few (ok.. a lot) of books off the shelf- you know, the norm. And then... THEY showed up.
Turns out that every Monday at 10am our local library has Mother Goose Time aka story time for children under the age of two. And guess what? It just so happens that Mother Goose Time is the secret hangout of....... THE SUPERMOMS!!!! I'm not kidding......... I should have figured it out when I overheard a couple of the moms talking about how they were teaching their babies several different languages!!! HELLO, I would be happy if my 18 month old would just learn the HUMAN language!! Regardless, I didn't recognize the superhero capes until we actually entered the story time room.

We all filed in and took a seat with our babies (Colby was such a good sport in this room full of toddlers). As we sat waiting for "Mother Goose" I couldn't help but notice all the cute, matching, unstained outfits worn by the toddler patrons. As I tried to very inconspicuously lick my hand to comb Colby's hair into place I made a mental note to dress the boys in church clothes next story time.

Then story time began. Mother Goose announced the first song and all the SuperMoms squealed with excitement. Apparently it was one of their favorites..........I didn't recognize it. As soon as Mother Goose began the song the SuperMom Choir joined in with their high pitched baby talk voices animatedly singing every word WITH the appropriate hand movements! I felt so sorry for my boys! Their Mommy couldn't sing the song and my hand movements were always at least a few beats behind the lyrics. By the third song I just tried to blend in by opening and shutting my mouth and simply clapping Cohen's hands together to the beat of the song (although not the official hand movement, if anyone asked I was going to say we were working on a rhythm exercise) WHERE WAS THE ITSY BITSY SPIDER? and/or PATTY CAKE?!?! Or even HICKORY DICKORY DOCK? I could have even sung a very impressive "Barney and Friends" version of Hickory Dickory Dock!!! But no.... apparently these songs are not part of the SuperMom hymnal.

In the end, my boys had a great time and that's all that matters. So I'm sure we will be back to Mother Goose Story time......... BUT I am soooo Googeling "toddler songs with hand movements" before we go!

PS I feel certain Donna would have been a regular at Mother Goose Story Time.

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH, I AM TOTALLY CRACKING UP!!!!!

    I'm guilty--I was one of the alleged "supermoms," sitting on the front row with my little girl in, yes, a cute little jeans-and-sweater outfit. (However, I'm NOT teaching my Anna any foreign languages, and most of her cute clothes are hand-me-downs from her cousin.) I've really been wanting to meet you in person, and I can't believe I missed my chance. Please come again!

    I've only been going a few weeks, and the first week I felt like you. I thought, "Whoa, everybody knows these songs but me. Did I miss the Mother Goose on the Loose Orientation or something?!?" But don't worry, by about the third session or so, you'll have earned your invisible cape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post cracked me up... sing loud and proud... even if you are a couple seconds behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer!!! That is hillarious!!! I would have loved to meet you too. We will be back and I'm excited to know you can advance to SUPERMOM status in just 3 sessions. Thanks for the support! Niki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niki, we missed yesterday bc of Dylan's pink eye, but normally we are there as well. That post was HILARIOUS! I felt the same way the first time we went but I agree that you can learn the songs quickly. Dylan loves it and he manages to last ALMOST the whole time most Mondays!

    ReplyDelete