Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Product of the Week


Well, Tambrey told me they were good, so when Morning Star products went nearly half off last week at Kroger I decided to give the Corn Dogs a try. To be honest, I bought the corn dogs for the boys, I thought "here is a way to give my boys good nutrition under the guise of a classic "kid food." I warmed one up for lunch the next day, placed a squirt of mustard right beside it, and proudly presented it with a handful of grapes to my 4 year old son. While I had pictured Colby getting really excited about the "fun" lunch I proudly served him complete with a "Hooray" and "Thanks Mom- Your the Best!!;" what I got was a shoulders slumped "I don't like corn dogs." (please read with a whine). What!?!?! What kid doesn't like corn dogs? AND Where had my child eaten a corn dog before that he knew "he didn't like corn dogs"?
So now I have an uneaten vegetable stick masquerading as a corn dog sitting warmly on a plate with no kid to eat it. I look over at my next born... Will he eat the corn dog? Probably not, but I give it a try. I cut 1/2 the dog off the stick and cut it up into choke proof sizes for my 17 month old and then sit and wait........ Corn Dog goes into the mouth... wait, wait, wait,.... Corn dog comes out of the mouth. Now What?
You should know I am NOT a hot dog kind of girl. Never was after some kid told me how and from what hot dogs were made. But, even at a sale price of $2.50 per box with only 4 in a package these fancy dogs were quite expensive. So after reading the ingredient list to confirm there was absolutely NO hint of mystery meat- I dipped that dog in mustard and gave it a try. Wow! I liked it, I REALLY liked it. Before I knew it my half of the dog was gone and I started eating the bite size pieces off my son's highchair tray. At only 150 Calories I seriously thought about going for a second but decided to hold off. I made it until 10:30am the next day, when I decided I couldn't wait another minute for another bite of the delectable corn wrapped dog and had it for a snack.
I am also proud to announce that Cohen (the baby) gave the corn dog another try yesterday and know he too shares my love of the "Vegy" corn dog!!!
Now, before you all rush out to buy this product, I feel I must warn you of 2 things. First, please note, I have not had a "real" corn dog in probably 20+ years so I have no idea how the Morning Star variety compares to the real thing; in other words- you might not share my enthusiasm. Secondly, they might not be available at our Kroger because last night I rushed out and bought the last of the corn dogs before the "Morning Star" sale ended- sorry!
Nutrition Information
Serving Size: 1 corn dog
Meal Plan: 150 Calories, 1 meat, 1.5 starches

1 comment:

  1. I also had a corn dog for lunch yesterday and thought it was great. mom

    ReplyDelete