Friday, March 6, 2009

Devotional Time

Today I think it is high time the boys and I take a look at "The Lord's Prayer." (Luke 11: 1-4) Although I appreciate the fact that Colby always insists on saying our before meal prayers; he has gotten into a bad "habit" of saying the same prayer meal after meal after meal. And it is not so much WHAT he is saying but HOW he is saying it.

"Dear Jesus, Thank you for Mommy, Thank you for Daddy, Thank you for You- Amen"

Sweet? Yes, But what you can't see from the written words above is that he says them as fast as he can, usually in between bites of food. I have even heard him say this prayer in route from the living room to the kitchen table so that the second he is seated at the table he can start eating. Hardly reverent, hardly sincere. Not to mention the fact that he NEVER remembers to thank Jesus for his little brother.

Now, I have to admit that often my mealtime prayers are more "habitual" then heartfelt so today's lesson will be great for me too.

For Cohen, we are going to practice bowing our head when we pray. It would be great if I could also teach him to say "Amen"..... but that would require talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment