Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wellness Wednesday

You've heard it before- "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." But do you eat breakfast? Breakfast is important for a number of reasons but one reason I ALWAYS encourage my patients to eat breakfast is because it jump starts your metabolism.

Patients tell me all the time "Niki, if I don't eat breakfast I can go all day and I'm not hungry BUT if I do eat breakfast I'm starving by lunch." They tell me this as though they think being hungry is a BAD thing. Well, I'm here to tell you the fact that they are hungry proves my point! When you eat breakfast in the morning it revs your body up, gets your engine going thus burning more fuel (calories) therefore, YOUR GOING TO GET HUNGRY by lunch. Whereas if you skip breakfast your body stays sluggish, it moves slower, burning less calories therefore your less likely to get a refuel signal (hunger). Make sense?


For more reasons to eat breakfast visit the American Dietetic Association here.

No comments:

Post a Comment