Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Valentines Craft

I was going to save this craft to post on Familytime Friday but I thought some of you might want to do this project with your kiddos in time for their school Valentines Day Parties. I found this idea at the Family Fun website and thought it would make the perfect Valentines goodie to pass out to Colby's class- instead of the classic CANDY laden card!

Go here for the official instructions to make the Heart Shaped PlayDough.

Hint: One of the crafter comments was to use a packet of cherry flavored Kool-Aid for the coloring for a less messy option to the red food coloring. I thought this was a brilliant idea, but didn't have any Kool-Aid, so I stirred in a packet of Strawberry Kiwi Benefiber...... didn't have the same effect! We ended up using red food coloring- my hands are still a lovely shade of pink!


This PlayDough recipe required us to cook the ingredients on the stove-top and then kneed the food coloring into the dough once stiff- messy!!! It is worth the trip to the store to try the Kool-Aid idea.


Instead of using a heart shape cookie cutter we (meaning I) just molded the dough into hearts- just call me Picasso (no idea of Picasso sculpted I just know he did something with art... right? I probably should watch more "Little Einsteins" and less "Imagination Movers")

I know you can't read the card from the picture- but it says "Dough you want to be my Valentine?" Cute huh! Could have also read "I kneed you" but I thought that was a little much for 4 year olds!

1 comment:

  1. So cute ! James Patrick loved his and I loved the message. He laughed and laughed about it when I explained it to him and Said "that colby is so funny!"

    ReplyDelete