Wednesday, February 4, 2009

DRS- at its worst

We just got in late this afternoon from our vacation and guess what I did?

  • I did not unpack. No some of the clothes are still sitting in suitcases.
  • I did not do laundry. No that would have required unpacking.
  • I did not open the mail that had piled up.
  • I did not watch the DVRd episode of Biggest Loser
  • I didn't even work on tomorrows Thrifty Thursday posts

No, instead of doing all those things that should have been done I instead opted to spend 2.5 hours of my life............................ Cleaning out the lint trap in my dryer!!!!

It's all Emily's fault! I decided to look through the comments left today and found Emily's comment for her daily Tidy Tuesday accountability report. She talked about how she had spent all afternoon cleaning out her lint trap and even gave some tips on how she did it. So in true DRS fashion I wanted to clean my lint trap too.

It started out harmless, I was just going to soak the pull-out lint screen in warm soapy water while I caught up on some blogging. But Emily had talked about cleaning out the lint underneath the lint pan so I thought I would just take a look before I sat down at the computer. GASP!!! Oh my goodness! It was like a giant lint party was overtaking the inside lining of my dryer!!!

I was too far gone at that point. Once I had seen the lint there was no way my DRS would let me walk away. The unfortunate thing about this lint buildup is that it is caught in a very narrow but deep opening between the dryer barrel (I have no idea if this is correct terminology) and the outside covering of the dryer. My weapon of choice was this long bristly wire thingy that could fit down between the opening and attract lint to it's bristles. It worked ok, but 1 hour later I knew that if I was going to fully conquer the fuzzy laundry droppings I would need a new tool.

I decided it was too late to get on the Internet and search out the perfect lint trapping device so I decided it was time for some creative thinking. Long story short I ended up making a lint cleaning gizmo out of a hanger and lint roller tape. I used the bristle brush to sweep the lint into a pile and then sent the hanger in to collect as much lint as it could. I almost went through an entire lint roller and the job was still not done. The last tool I sent in was a swiffer cloth taped to the above hanger to dust out the area.

If you shine a light down the hole you will still see some lint remains but after 2.5 hours hunched over my dryer trap door, I decided it wasn't healthy to continue. I need to conserve energy because tomorrow I have already warned my DH we are moving the washer and dryer out to mop underneath... no telling what we'll find.

WARNING: If you suspect you have any form of DRS DO NOT peek inside your lint trap door- unless your ready to go to war! You have been warned!

PS I did take pictures throughout the delinting process but I have lost the cord that connects my camera to the computer. Sorry!

1 comment:

  1. I am rolling in laughter!!!! I so feel your pain and it sounds just like the little trap under my lint filter. YOu did a much better job discribing it and it sounded just like me trying everything I could find to get it out. I used so many different things too to get in that very narrow section. Maybe it would have been better if I had not discovered that. I even showed my mom when she stopped by last night and had never looked down there in hers so I felt pretty confident that is something we all over look. Because the lint filter does take up the whole space, so how or why would you think any lint could get in there?
    I was so exhausted last night you dont have to worry about me finding something miraculous to do today cleaning out my car!!!

    ReplyDelete