Thursday, January 1, 2009

My battle part 3

I am so confused how this blog is posting, I thought that each new post would show up at the top of the page, but then the last post was under the one before it, so I don't know what to tell you. If you are tuning in for the first time, this is the third post of the series. On with my story....

For a while my DRS was well controlled, I was able to keep our home running somewhat smoothly, Dear Husband (DH) had learned that "the house" was a sensitive subject and held back all nonessential critical comments, and at any given moment the house could be company ready within a 45 minute time frame. It was by no means Donna Standard- but at the very least I did feel "in control" of my life and home. That all changed with the birth of my first child.

The third trimester of my pregnancy triggered a major DRS flair-up. Most women call it "nesting" but I knew the truth- DRS was rearing it's ugly head again. I can remember being on modified bed rest and being in a state of complete panic that I was going to have to bring my baby home to a house with an unscrubbed tub and dusty baseboards. Lucky for me, my parents recognized the symptoms and came to my rescue and cleaned like only Donna could until I was content and Donna would be proud.

When I brought Colby home from the hospital I quickly progressed to a whole new stage of the disease- Mommy. I looked at my precious baby boy and knew that he deserved the very best- he deserved Donna. So during a time in my life when I was experiencing a whole new level of love I also experienced a whole new level of guilt. If I was holding Colby I was feeling guilty about the laundry that wasn't getting done; and if I was doing the laundry I was feeling guilty that I wasn't giving my child my full attention. I knew that I should be reading to him and teaching him the itsy bitsy spider but instead he would sit in front of the TV watching Baby Einstein while I was picking up the house or cooking supper (at least it was educational programming- right?). Add in the fact that Colby was a late walker and talker and at times I felt like a complete failure as a mother.

But, as is always true with DRS, I could not accept defeat and once again convinced myself all I needed was a new plan and a little more organization and I could still one day achieve Donna Reed status. So you can imagine how excited I was when I discovered the ultimate blueprint to home organization and housework- Fly Lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment