Friday, January 23, 2009

Familytime Friday

TGIF!
Today the boys and I have several errands to run. Running errands with the boys can be a rather trying experience. I will never forget my very first outing with both boys. Cohen was just 2 weeks old when I decided to load the boys up and head to Hancock Fabrics to take advantage of a 50% off sale. By the time I got both boys, the stroller, baby bag, and a toy for Colby all loaded in my 2-door car I was exhausted and covered in sweat. After juggling the stroller, a crying baby, and a run-away 3 year old inside the store- let's just say all 3 of us were crying on the way home. Complete misery!
On the other end of the spectrum I have had some great shopping experiences with the boys. There have been numerous trips that resulted in some memorable backseat conversations with Colby in route to our errand destination. And it's fun to remember the time Colby played detective in Kroger, complete with magnifying glass, on the "case of the lost bargains" while Cohen sat quietly in the buggy and attracted smiles from other shoppers.

You know what the biggest difference is between shopping trips that end in misery vs those that end with smiles? My attitude! It's true. If I am completely focused on my to do list- I am easily frustrated when it takes 10 minutes to get the boys loaded or when Colby insists on visiting the toy aisle at Walgreens when I need to knock out 2 more errands before Cohen's nap time. But when I remind myself that errand days are foremost "Mommy Days" I am sooo much more patient with the boys, I'm more likely to appreciate our car time together, and if I try real hard, I can even turn errands into a fun or even learning adventure for the boys. Although the task master Mom might get the errands done faster the kid focused mommy is much less physically and emotionally exhausted by the end of the shopping trip.

What a blessing it is that you hold me accountable to Familytime Friday. Surely your accountability, FOWPL, and the fact that Donna never had a meltdown in aisle 7 will help me keep my attitude in check so this errand day is more likely to end in smiles. I'll let you know!

1 comment:

  1. Surely Donna had a least one meltdown in the grocery store! I think that was before Wal-Mart was around and Wal-Mart can drive anyone to a meltdown! I totally agree though...attitude can totally recreate an experience!

    ReplyDelete