Saturday, January 17, 2009

10 Tips for a Successful Garage Sale

10. Have a designated Garage Sale station/container - Throughout the year as you run across things you want to get rid of or declutter; simply price and store in your garage sale container.

9. Set a Date- I will usually "think" about having a garage sale for months before I actually get around to doing one. To help prevent this procrastination I find it is helpful to pick a date and mark it on my calender 1 or 2 months prior to the event.

8. Get a Buddy- Having a Garage Sale can be quite torturous, but it is a little more bearable when you can do it with a friend. Plus you can split the cost of advertising.

7. Start Pricing Early- I usually try to price a little every night in the weeks leading up to a garage sale so I am not so overwhelmed the week or night before the event.

6. Plan to open early- the professional garage sale people are up at the crack of dawn so I usually like to open around 6am. (This garage sale we decided to open at 8am, since there is not too many competing garage sales this time of year)

5. Display your items. Someone once told me that their Grandmother would display her garage sale items on white table cloths. I remember thinking "Wow, Donna would so do that." I have NEVER gone that far but I do think it is helpful to display like items together.

4. Price it right- not to high, not to low. I can't seem to get this one right. I once did a garage sale with a friend who was selling the exact SAME t-shirts as me. She sold hers for $3 and I sold mine for $0.50, and guess what- SHE SOLD MORE THEN ME! So the next time I had a garage sale I priced all my items high and my garage sale friend (different friend) priced hers low. Guess who sold more- you guessed it- My friend!

3. Advertise- Put your garage sale in the paper. The night before place signs and balloons out pointing garage sale patrons in the right direction.

2. Have a garage sale in the winter! I had a professional garage sale shopper give me this advice. Today will be my first winter sale so I'll have to let you know if there is any truth to this tip later.

#1 Tip: Don't follow a word of advice I give you regarding garage sales! I have NEVER had a truly successful garage sale! But in true DRS fashion- I keep trying!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment